Saturday, October 15, 2016

Review: Inside


What Awaits?

I'd like to preface this with saying I know Inside came out in June, but since it still haunts my mind with questions and is consistently near the top of my favorite experiences of the year list I would like to give my humble opinion. Shall we review?

Inside is the long awaited follow up to Playdead's monochrome indie masterpiece Limbo. For those that are new to Playdead's style of game it basically boils down to a beautiful side-scrolling puzzle game with deep, complex, and ambiguous story threads. If this doesn't sound like your type of game I totally get it. It isn't my type of game either from a gameplay perspective, but somehow the geniuses over at Playdead found a way to craft one of the most masterfully emotional and intriguing experiences I have had in recent memory. I promise there will be no spoilers, but if you don't want to know anything else I'll just say Inside an incredible experience that should not be missed.

Life On The Inside

Inside starts with a boy going through the woods, while seemingly running from some people. It may sound vague, but that is all I will say in terms of story. I am being vague because Inside's story is the kind that needs to be experienced without knowledge. It is powerful while remaining silent. What makes Inside so brilliant is its use of storytelling via camerawork and cinematography. It may sound strange, but the game has some impressive visual flare that makes it compelling and dream like from the very start. It's music is haunting and feels like something otherworldly. It's atmosphere is dreary and yet familiar. It is something so unlike what we are used to and at the same time something remembered.

For a game that plays left to right it is remarkable what it is able to achieve in such a limited space. The game is beautiful to look at and fluid to play. Playdead took six years to make this game and there doesn't seem to be a hair out of place when it comes to the production value. It is the most polished game I have played. By the story's conclusion I was left scratching my head with confusion, but as I immediately started playing again to see if I missed something certain things became clearer, but in clarity came more questions. It is a game that leaves the player wanting to know so much, but it does so little to explain. Generally I find this means of storytelling to be a bit pretentious, but Inside walks a fine line that balances it well. It trusts the player to piece together potential outcomes and mysteries. It felt as though they believed in my intellect and allowed me the freedom to think about it. Developers and directors nowadays have to spoon feed story and tell you its importance, but they didn't here and thanks to that it paid off in spades. The puzzles are handled with excellence as well. They are smart without being so complex and intricate as to make me look them up. It can be hard to find such balance, but again they are masters at their craft and made something remarkably accessible. The game is just so evocative and I am honestly gushing with how inventive and fresh it feels. It is certainly one of if not the best games of the year.

Verdict:

Overall I am amazed at what Inside is. I went into the game knowing next to nothing about it and came out with questions regarding not only the game, but human existence itself. Inside is an arthouse masterpiece that is as ambiguous as it gets, but has the master's degree to pull it off. I hope more games and even more media in general sees what Inside does and incorporates it's principles and lessons. It is a classic example that games and media can transcend social stereotypes through vivid and important storytelling. If you haven't already played Inside I urge you to do so. It is truly a masterpiece, and I don't say that lightly.

Rating:
A+

No comments:

Post a Comment